Fluffy Slime By Kari Knutson

Fluffy Slime

By Kari Knutson

Slime is a fluid unlike any other. Slime is a fluid that can both flow like thick liquid or be like a wet solid. The reason slime has these attributes is because it is not your everyday liquid, it is a material that scientists like to call a non-Newtonian fluid. The non-Newtonian fluid is a material that can change its own viscosity. This means that when you pound it in your hand or on a table it has a very high viscosity and when you just let it ooze through your fingers it has a very low viscosity. The reason why there is a higher viscosity when you pound the slime is because the stress on the material makes it hard for the particles that make up the slime to slide together.

Now to make fluffy slime you will need to gather all the ingredients. Hot water, borax, school glue, shaving cream, foaming soap, corn starch, food coloring, preferred sent, bowls, spoons, and hands. You can get these ingredients at almost any grocery store. Here are the steps that you will need to follow.

Step 1- Mix one teaspoon of borax with one cup of hot water

Step 2- Pour one half cup of school glue into separate bowl

Step 3- Add one half cup of shaving cream into glue

Step 4- Add one half cup of foaming soap into mix

Step 5- Add one tablespoon of corn starch into mix

Step 6- Add preferred color

Step 7- Add preferred sent

Step 8- Add 3-5 tablespoons of the borax water mixture from step 1 to bowl

Step 9- Kneed the slime

Step 10- Have fun with your new fluffy slime

Here is the video of me when I made fluffy slime for the first time ever. It got messy and my mom had to help because my hands were covered in too much half-formed slime

20 Replies to “Fluffy Slime By Kari Knutson”

1. Cool! I didn’t know there was a fluid that was non-Newtonian. Maybe I’ll try to make it sometime. Great post.

2. Non-Newtonian fluids are awesome. If you have yet to walk on Oobleck, go and try it at the University of Washington Engineering Days- it is really awesome.

I appreciated that the recipe was easy to understand and the process was clearly explained. Great post!

3. This was amazing Kari! You did a great job and I really liked how you explained non-Newtonian fluids.

4. non-newtonian fluids are one of the coolest things i know about. i had know idea that you could make fluffy slime.

5. Great idea for a blog post! It was a great idea to add the instructions to your blog post! Overall great job!

6. Great post! The video was super cool and satisfying! My younger sister makes this type of smile all the time, and it is super fun to play with.

7. Cool post. I didn’t know what a non-Nutonian fluid was before this, or that slime was one. I liked the instructions, they were detailed and I liked the addition of the video.

8. This was a cool post. It was nice that you explained so many science-y words and how it related to your post. It was also cool that you gave a recipe on it too, so if anyone wanted to make this they could. Nice post!

9. Your video was well put together and clearly demonstrated the recipe. I haven’t explored Newtonian fluids much, but they never cease to amaze me. Well done!

10. I just love non Newtonian fluids. Also I totally agreee with Seamus: walking on oobleck is awesome. All together a great post.

11. This was quite the interesting post. I have thought about this topic before, how slime can be both a liquid, and a sold. Overall good job, and it was nice that you added the ingredients and procedure in making slime.

Grace Meyer

12. Fuzzy slime is awesome! Great job picking a fun topic that has a lot to do with science. And cool video of making fuzzy slime! You described the steps very well.
    -Gia

13. Loved the post, and in the end I made this. it was super fun!

14. This is awesome! I still need to try walking on oobleck, it sounds awesome! I never knew that these fluids are called non-newtonian either.

15. Cool post, my little sister got into that slime stuff a month or so ago.

16. Non-Newtonian fluids are so interesting! Your procedure was clearly explained and easy to understand, and the video you included was a fun idea. Great job!

17. Thank you everyone for your nice comments and before I did my research I also had no idea what a non Newtonian fluid was.

18. Great post! It was a really good idea to add the recipe at the end!

19. Great post! I had no idea that there were any kinds of liquids like this. The instructions were easy to use and this would be very fun to make.

20. I didn’t know making slime was so complicated, nice post.